<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://mygoldenpear.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
My Golden Pear: EASY CRUNCHIES

Sunday 1 July 2012

EASY CRUNCHIES

Don't you just hate it when a recipe doesn't work? I understand that when it comes to baking you will always have slight variances due to different altitudes, slight differences in ovens, size of pan etc. but sometimes it is just so wrong that you wonder if the recipe was ever made by the author.


Today was one of those days.  I had an hour or so to myself this afternoon and decided to make some crunchies for the biscuit tin.  I turned to one of my favourite cookery books - Home Cooking by Francois Ferreira.  What could go wrong with a simple recipe for crunchies? 


I first looked at the quantity for the dry ingredients and thought it looked far too much for the amount that I wanted to make - 1 kg of oats!!  I decided to halve the quantity and it was still a lot but everyone loves crunchies so I thought it wouldn't be a problem to make a big batch.  As I had halved the dry ingredients I then halved the liquid ingredients.  It was completely wrong - I ended up using 4 times the amount in the recipe book.  How can it be so wrong in a published book - don't they use proof readers?  Anyway - the end result was delicious .  Crunchy and chewy - perfect with a glass of milk. 


Here is Francois Ferreira's much adapted recipe:

EASY CRUNCHIES

Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes

Yield: 30 biscuits

Ingredients
  • 125g butter
  • 200g sugar
  • 15 ml golden syrup
  • 5 ml bicarbonate of soda
  • 80g oats
  • 100g plain flour
  • 50g desiccated coconut
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
  2. Heat the butter, sugar and syrup in a pot until the butter has melted.
  3. Add the bicarbonate of soda to the hot ingredients.
  4. Place the remaining dry ingredients in a bowl and pour on the hot mixture.
  5. Mix until well combined.
  6. Press into a baking tray (24cm x 34cm).
  7. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until golden.
  8. Cut while hot and leave to cool in the tray.


Written by : Angela Darroch       

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 3 July 2012 at 01:18 , Blogger IdaDown said...

Yummy. We used to make crunches all the time as kids in South Africa. Since moving to Australia I have never had a successful batch. The mix always falls apart. I wonder if our golden syrup is just too different. I will give yours a try and hope for the best.

 
At 3 July 2012 at 03:22 , Blogger Unknown said...

Not sure how I managed to delete my first reply - this is all a bit new to me. I would suggest that you halve the quantity for your first attempt as it is a big batch. You also need to let them cool down completely before taking them out of the pan to avoid them crumbling. Hope you are successful and they bring back lots of happy memories.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home