<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://mygoldenpear.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
My Golden Pear: RAYMOND BLANC'S CHOCOLATE MOUSSE

Friday 8 February 2013

RAYMOND BLANC'S CHOCOLATE MOUSSE

This week has been chocolate mousse week in my house much to the delight of my two little tasters.  I wanted to try and find a recipe that was easy, quick and above all else delicious.  My first choice was to try a recipe without eggs as I am always hesitant to use raw eggs when cooking for other people.  The worst result I had was a combination of mascarpone and melted chocolate.  It was thick, almost solid, and just too heavy.  Not an air bubble in sight.   I then went to the other extreme and tried the traditional method using butter, eggs and chocolate.  The result was good but it wasn’t quick and it was still a bit too heavy for me.  My last attempt was Raymond Blanc’s version which only uses 4 ingredients – egg whites, chocolate, a small amount of sugar and a drop of lemon juice.  It was super quick and after only 10 minutes in the fridge it was the perfect consistency.  It is light, deliciously tasty and not too heavy on the calories.  Perfect.  You have to make sure that your chocolate is completely melted before stirring into the egg white mixture and if you follow Raymond’s instructions the chocolate should not seize when mixed with the egg whites.  I used half the quantity (4 egg whites) and managed to get 3 of these espresso cups. This is not an overly sweet mousse – using only 20g of caster sugar to 4 eggs but both I and the kids loved it.  Hubby didn’t get a look in but with Valentine’s Day just round the corner I’m sure I can rustle up another batch.
 

 
 

Written by : Angela Darroch

Labels: ,

22 Comments:

At 8 February 2013 at 23:50 , Anonymous Jacqueline @Howtobeagourmand said...

What a delicious chocolate mousse. Raymond Blanc is my favourite chef - he has such enthusiasm and passion in cooking and all the recipes I have tried of his have been successful so far. Lovely presentation too for Valentine's day!

 
At 9 February 2013 at 03:29 , Blogger Lauren Roffey said...

Ah what a great sounding and looking mousse Angela, will check out the recipe for sure. Thanks for doing the testing ;)

 
At 9 February 2013 at 05:58 , Blogger underthebluegumtree said...

Wish I'd been at your house this week. Chocolate mousse week! What a treat. I'm not sure I've ever actually made a chocolate mousse but it feels like one of those recipes everyone should have in their repertoire. I should give Raymond's recipe a go.

 
At 9 February 2013 at 06:31 , Blogger Vicki Bensinger said...

Your mousse looks positively perfect. I love that you placed it in an adorable mug and that the recipe calls for a mere 4 ingredients.

 
At 9 February 2013 at 06:56 , Blogger Unknown said...

I agree - Such a gentleman too. Tks for the lovely comment

 
At 9 February 2013 at 06:59 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Lauren, we had good fun testing this one.

 
At 9 February 2013 at 07:01 , Blogger Unknown said...

I went through a choc mousse phase many years ago and got a bit tired of it so it was good to revisit and find such an easy recipe.

 
At 9 February 2013 at 07:36 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Vicki - I'm not sure how often I'll get to use these little cups but I just loved them as soon as I saw them.

 
At 9 February 2013 at 09:23 , Blogger Angie's Recipes said...

What a beautiful presentation! The mousse looks perfect.

 
At 9 February 2013 at 14:47 , Anonymous Suzanne Perazzini said...

An interesting experiment. I do love mascarpone but it is probably better mixed with whipped egg whites. They do add that lighter texture. I wonder why he put the lemon juice in it. It would cut through the sweetness quite nicely but I wonder if there is a chemical reaction he was going for too.

 
At 10 February 2013 at 11:20 , Blogger Lucy said...

When I've made chocolate mousse it's often been too heavy, so this looks like it could be just perfect! I love your adorable little mugs too - the hearts are so sweet!

 
At 10 February 2013 at 13:09 , Anonymous Laura Loves Cakes said...

Wow what a lovely looking mousse and what a great photo! This looks so decadent...I just want to dive right in. I was looking at Raymond's courses at Le Manoir earlier today but I think I need to get saving! ;-)

 
At 10 February 2013 at 14:15 , Blogger Zoe said...

Hi Angela,

Thanks for sharing such a light and fantastic chocolate mousse recipe! Like you, I'm often put off by the fatty content and heaviness of most mousses recipes. This one is simply great! I will love make these for my family :D

Zoe

 
At 11 February 2013 at 05:32 , Anonymous Vespa Woolf said...

I like that the mousse is lighter and only makes a small quantity--perfect for my husband and I and one other guest. Thanks!

 
At 11 February 2013 at 05:38 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Angie

 
At 11 February 2013 at 05:39 , Blogger Unknown said...

I find chocolate mousse can be too rich but this was so light and easy.

 
At 11 February 2013 at 05:40 , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh I would love to go on some of his courses too but can't quite justify the cost.

 
At 11 February 2013 at 05:40 , Blogger Unknown said...

I hope you enjoy it Zoe.

 
At 11 February 2013 at 05:44 , Blogger Unknown said...

The lemon juice stops the egg whites from splitting if you happen to overwhip.

 
At 11 February 2013 at 05:45 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Vespa - I hope you enjoy the mousse.

 
At 12 February 2013 at 13:37 , Blogger Zoe said...

Just realized that you are Tweeting... I'm now your latest Twitter follower :D

 
At 26 February 2013 at 14:50 , Blogger Zoe said...

Hi Angela,

I made these chocolate mousse too! They are very light and nice. I've just written a post on these too. Great recommendation! Cheers!

Zoe

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home