<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://mygoldenpear.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
My Golden Pear: SPELT CRACKERS

Wednesday 27 February 2013

SPELT CRACKERS

Today is the reveal date for my first entry into the Daring Bakers Challenge.  Sarah from All Our Fingers In The Pie has challenged us to make crisp crackers or flatbreads. Now I don't think I have ever contemplated making my own crackers but this is what I love about taking part in these challenges - it forces you to try something new.
The original recipe that I found uses whole wheat flour but I have read so much about Spelt flour over the last few months that I decided to try it out with these crackers. I chose seeded spelt flour made by Sharpham Park with the added benefit that it is grown in Britain. I couldn't believe how quick and easy it was to make these little biscuits until that is, it came time to rolling out the mixture. It is really difficult to get them thin enough to resemble a store bought cracker so I did some more research on the internet and came across a tip from Smitten Kitchen. Although she hadn't tried it, she suggested using a pasta machine to roll the dough out. I hauled mine out from the back of my cupboard, checked that there was no playdough still stuck to it and gave it a whirl. At first I tried to put all the dough through at once but it was just too messy. After a few failed attempts I tried putting through just enough dough to make one cracker at a time and bingo - perfect thickness every time. 
My first batch of these disappeared before I even had time to photograph them so I would say they are going to be a firm favourite in our household.
My only word of caution is watch them like a hawk when baking. They go from nicely crisp to overdone very, very quickly.
 

 

Spelt Crackers

For the printable version - click here

Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 18 minutes
Total time: 38 minutes
 
Yield: 24 crackers (depending on size)
 
Ingredients
  • 155g seeded spelt flour (or wholewheat flour)
  • 5ml sea salt flakes
  • 2.5ml caster sugar
  • 55g salted butter, cubed
  • 50 - 60ml cold water
 
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 200C.
  2. Add flour, salt, sugar and butter to a food processor and whizz together until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
  3. Add water and whizz again until a soft dough is formed.
  4. Remove from food processor and knead gently using some extra flour if needed to form a smooth dough mixture.
  5. Roll out evenly to about 3mm thickness and cut out the shape required.
  6. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper and place in the oven for approximately 15 - 18 minutes.               

Recipe Adapted from King Arthur Flour and Smitten Kitchen
Written by Angela Darroch

Blog checking lines: Sarah from All Our Fingers in the Pie was our February 2013 Daring Bakers’ host and she challenges us to use our creativity in making our own Crisp Flatbreads and Crackers!

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 27 February 2013 at 03:01 , Blogger underthebluegumtree said...

OMG!!! I can't believe you made those (well I can 'cos you're an amazing cook.) They look absolutely perfect and like they've come out of a packet (in a good way!) So glad you've chosen to join the Daring Bakers :-)

 
At 27 February 2013 at 18:28 , Anonymous Mich Piece of Cake said...

Oh wow, I never knew one could make these at home. Looks delicious with the cheese...

 
At 27 February 2013 at 19:14 , Anonymous Korena said...

Wow, those look great! They look like "real" crackers, if you know what I mean - but without all the junk. Beautiful photos, too. Welcome to the Daring Bakers :)

 
At 28 February 2013 at 06:31 , Blogger Sarah said...

Nice to have a recipe for spelt crackers. Brilliant to use the pasta machine. Great job. Thanks for participating in this challenge.

 
At 2 March 2013 at 15:40 , Anonymous Suzanne Perazzini said...

I can't believe these look so perfect, just like bought ones but without the awful additives.

 
At 3 March 2013 at 21:12 , Anonymous Jacqueline @Howtobeagourmand said...

Very professional looking Angela! I must say, I admire your perseverance in making them - not sure I would have been so patient!Glad you have a shared love of blue cheese :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home