<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://mygoldenpear.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
My Golden Pear: BLUEBERRY & ORANGE MUFFINS

Sunday 3 March 2013

BLUEBERRY & ORANGE MUFFINS

My kids eat a lot of fruit.  3 kgs of grapes, 1kg of blueberries, 16 plums, 12 apples, 6 bananas, 4 pears, 2 pkts of strawberries and a couple of oranges – and that's just in a week!  The first thing people say (apart from our dentist) when you tell them is “you’re so lucky,” and I agree but it is so, so expensive.  And as much as they love fruit it has to be the freshest, crispiest, crunchiest fruit that you can buy,  so no bargain buys for me.  The problem I had this week was that a lot of the blueberries were a bit squishy and I have to admit that even I struggle with soft, squishy blueberries but at £4 a punnet I have to find a way to use them up.  I don’t necessarily want to turn them into a sugar and fat laden dessert just for the sake of using them up so the healthiest option for me is these muffins I found in Annie Bell's Baking Bible.  The kids still refuse to eat them because of the squishy blueberries but they are the perfect snack for me together with my much loved daily cup of coffee. There is no butter in them and I have used a blend of sugar and stevia to cut down the sugar content and of course my favourite ingredient of the moment is the delicious seeded spelt flour from Sharpham Park.  These muffins are not necessarily frugal if you have to go out and buy the ingredients but if like me you have some over ripe fruit to use up then it is preferable to throwing the fruit out. 
   These muffins are deliciously moist and stay fresh for a few days and like most muffins will freeze really well. 
 
 


Blueberry & Orange Muffins
 
For the printable version - click here
 
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
 
Yield: 8 - 12 depending on size
 
Ingredients
 
  • 80 ml extra virgin olive oil
  • 180 ml orange juice, no bits (approximately 2 large oranges)
  • finely grated zest of 1 orange
  • 2 medium eggs (I used 2 large eggs)
  • 275 g plain flour (I used Sharpham Park Seeded Spelt Flour)
  • 2 tsps baking powder
  • 200 g golden caster sugar (I used 100g Tate & Lyle's Stevia & Sugar blend)
  • 150 g fresh blueberries (I used 200g)
 
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 190C (170C fan).
  2. Whisk the oil, orange juice, zest and eggs lightly in a bowl.
  3. Add the flour, baking powder and sugar and stir until just combined.
  4. Fold in two-thirds of the blueberries.
  5. Spoon the mixture into your muffin tray, two-thirds full.
  6. Scatter over the remaining blueberries and a little extra sugar and bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
 
As these muffins contain blueberries and have no butter in them they are perfect for A Kick at the Pantry Door's first Feel Good Challenge.
 
Recipe adapted from Annie Bell's Baking Bible   
Written by Angela Darroch    

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

At 3 March 2013 at 12:42 , Blogger Lauren Roffey said...

These look awesome and as you say - perfect with coffee for a snack. I am always on the hunt for butter free recipes - thanks for the suggestion :)

 
At 3 March 2013 at 19:06 , Anonymous Mich Piece of Cake said...

OH wow,I love these flavours. Saving this recipe because blueberry muffins are my favourite thing. And I love the fact its so healthy.

 
At 5 March 2013 at 09:57 , Blogger Angie's Recipes said...

These muffins look unbeliveably delicious! They are healthy enough for the breakfast.

 
At 6 March 2013 at 21:03 , Blogger Zoe said...

Hi Angela,

Love your transformation of these muffins to healthier versions. Using spelt flour and the stevia blend is a kind idea for our digestion and waistline :D

Zoe

 
At 6 March 2013 at 22:56 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Lauren - I love my butter but it is good to have healthier options too.

 
At 6 March 2013 at 22:59 , Blogger Unknown said...

I think I am going to make another batch today as this week's blueberries were soft again!

 
At 6 March 2013 at 23:01 , Blogger Unknown said...

I've never thought to have them for breakfast but why not - mmmm.

 
At 6 March 2013 at 23:04 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Zoe - you do feel less guilty when you know you have used healthier options :-)

 
At 7 March 2013 at 14:48 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been looking for recipes to try out before we have an exchange student come to visit next week - so I made these muffins today. And, you're absolutely right - really moist, not too sweet and packed with blueberries. I'll be making them again next week... thanks!

 
At 8 March 2013 at 06:02 , Blogger Unknown said...

So glad you enjoyed them and thanks for taking the time to comment.

 
At 1 June 2013 at 08:18 , Blogger Unknown said...

Angela these are so beautiful! Thank you so much for adding these to the first ever Feel Good Food - I feel good just looking at them, will definitely be making these in the future!

 
At 1 June 2013 at 08:52 , Blogger Elizabeth said...

These sound absolutely divine! I know what you mean about the cost of fruit - mine are fruit munchers too. I'm seriously considering a lock on the fridge door because they'll raid the fridge and devour an entire punnet (or two) in a single go!

 
At 3 June 2013 at 09:37 , Blogger Unknown said...

They are delicious and much healthier than a normal muffin.

 
At 3 June 2013 at 09:38 , Blogger Unknown said...

In South Africa all our fridges had locks on them - I could try and import a few to keep the fruit munchers at bay :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home