<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://mygoldenpear.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
My Golden Pear: SAUSAGE STROGANOFF

Thursday 21 March 2013

SAUSAGE STROGANOFF

Just over two years ago I gave up my job in the city to be a stay at home Mum.  It was not an easy decision to make as I have always loved my work but with rising child care costs, extortionate travel costs and the stress of trying to work full time and look after a young family we knew we had to make some changes to our lifestyle.  Without a doubt the decision to stay at home has been the right one but, and it is a big but, the financial implications have been hard.  My children are happy and love having their Mum around and both are blissfully unaware of the constant budgeting, re budgeting, planning and worry that goes with being on a tight budget.  It has been easy to cut out the restaurant meals, trips to the movies, overseas holidays and replace them with cheaper alternatives but what I really try hard not to compromise on is good, home cooked meals.  I may not be able to use the best cuts of meat anymore or to try out all the new exotic fruit and veg that is now so readily available but if you look around, there are always cheaper alternatives which can often be just as tasty and are probably more local and in season.  It was while I was going through my pile of recipe cuttings that I found this recipe for Sausage Stroganoff.  I have no idea where it originates from but has probably been pulled out of one of my South African magazines from about 15 years ago.  It is a much cheaper alternative to the original beef or pork stroganoffs.  I buy good quality sausages which contain over 85% pork at a cost of Ā£2.50 and can easily feed the four of us.  It is simple, quick, cheap and tasty - definitely worth a try.
 



Sausage Stroganoff


Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes

Yield: 4

Ingredients
  • 1 tblsp olive oil
  • 8 pork sausages
  • 4 bacon rashers, chopped
  • 1 onion, chopped finely
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
  • 500 g mushrooms, sliced
  • 250 ml beef stock
  • 60 ml tomato paste
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika
  • 60 ml plain yogurt
 
Cooking Directions
  1. Grill or lightly fry sausages until cooked and nicely browned.
  2. Slice each sausage into 3 or 4 pieces and set to one side.          
  3. Add olive oil to a frying pan and fry onions until soft.
  4. Add bacon and garlic to pan and continue to fry until bacon is cooked.
  5. Add mushrooms and continue to fry for approximately 5 minutes or until mushrooms are soft.
  6. Add beef stock, tomato paste and paprika and bring to a simmer, stirring well.
  7. Add cooked sausage pieces and continue to simmer for a couple of minutes.
  8. Stir in yogurt, mix well until heated through.
  9. Serve with mashed potato or rice.
 
I am entering this dish into this month's Random Recipe challenge over at Belleau Kitchen which is  cuttings, memories and clippings.
 

and as it is also a budget version of a well know dish I am going to enter into this month's Credit Crunch Munch blop hop wish is hosted by both Helen of Fuss Free Flavours and Camilla of Fab Food 4 All

 

Written by : Angela Darroch      

Labels: ,

26 Comments:

At 21 March 2013 at 04:34 , Anonymous Camilla @FabFood4All said...

Brilliant, am definitely going to give this recipe a try as I have all the ingredients and just need some mushrooms. Thank for posting such fab and frugal dish for Credit Crunch Munch - my mouth is watering already!

 
At 21 March 2013 at 21:28 , Blogger Jean said...

We are great fans of sausages and have them at least once a week.
I haven't had a strogonoff for years - they were all the rage when friends came round for dinner in the 1970's !! This looks really tasty and satisfying and I shall give it a try......very good for the snowy weather we are having this spring.

 
At 22 March 2013 at 10:11 , Blogger Angie's Recipes said...

Such a hearty and delicious dish. I would love some too!

 
At 23 March 2013 at 11:49 , Blogger Unknown said...

mmmm, scrolling down your blog and seeing that beautiful photo of the bowl of sausage stew is simply mouth-watering... an excellent random recipe, very lucky and I can see why you cut it out and kept it... thanks so much for entering this month xx

 
At 23 March 2013 at 13:03 , Anonymous Suzanne Perazzini said...

It's all about choices and I applaud your choice to stay at home with your children. It gives them the best start possible in life. I know this choice is not always possible for everyone but at least those first few years before school is a good idea.
I think you do very well on a limited budget. Your recipes are always lovely.

 
At 23 March 2013 at 13:21 , Blogger Unknown said...

Fantastic idea. Stroganoff is something that I love eating out but never make because the beef version is quite expensive to make and my other half doesn't like mushrooms. However we both love sausages and I have loads in the freezer. I always buy good quality ones when they are in the reduced price section and then freeze in bags of 4 so they're always handy for a meal. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe, I'm going to try it out as soon as I can!

 
At 23 March 2013 at 16:36 , Blogger Unknown said...

Angela, this looks seriously mouth watering. Would love to have it over pasta or crusty bread.

 
At 23 March 2013 at 23:20 , Anonymous Jacqueline @Howtobeagourmand said...

I haven't had stroganoff for such a long time but your sausage version looks divine!

 
At 26 March 2013 at 10:48 , Anonymous Monet said...

Hi Angela, I admire your decision...and I know it is a hard one to make. This sausage stroganoff looks just spectacular. Such a warm and filling meal. Thank you for sharing!

 
At 27 March 2013 at 16:25 , Blogger Zoe said...

Hi Angela,

I'm thinking to be a stay-at-home mum and choose to do part-time work instead.

Good that this dish is saving $ and also very comforting to eat.

Zoe

 
At 30 March 2013 at 15:57 , Blogger Suzanne said...

What a great idea to use sausages instead of other meat. We actually struggle to find really good quality sausages here in NZ so when we find some we buy them in bulk and stash them in the freezer - think I'll be rolling this out as a good use for them.

 
At 31 March 2013 at 03:34 , Blogger Chris Half said...

It looks really delicious and mouth watering. Well, it's always good to set the right priorities.

 
At 3 April 2013 at 06:35 , Anonymous Stacy said...

I would never have thought to use sausage in stroganoff and now I am asking myself, why ever NOT? What a beautiful dish!

 
At 3 April 2013 at 10:37 , Blogger Unknown said...

It is much quicker and more economical that the traditional stroganoffs and just as delicious. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

 
At 3 April 2013 at 10:43 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Christian. Luckily I was able to make the choice - I guess it is not easy for everybody.

 
At 3 April 2013 at 10:49 , Blogger Unknown said...

I can't imagine not being able to buy good sausages - they are such a big part of our diet here in the UK. Hope you are able to give it a try.

 
At 3 April 2013 at 11:18 , Blogger Unknown said...

It is a big decision but one I am sure you will not regret.

 
At 3 April 2013 at 11:22 , Blogger Unknown said...

There have been so many changes in our lives since having a family but all worth while. All the best for your remaining months before baby Lou arrives.

 
At 3 April 2013 at 11:25 , Blogger Unknown said...

Same here - funny how food goes in and out of fashion.

 
At 3 April 2013 at 11:26 , Blogger Unknown said...

Never thought to have it over pasta but it would be perfect in the warmer months.

 
At 3 April 2013 at 11:27 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Jen. It is a good standby meal and so quick to prepare.

 
At 3 April 2013 at 11:28 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Suzanne. My blog is my one little luxury but even then I still feel I should be watching what I spend.

 
At 3 April 2013 at 11:30 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Dom - just glad I made the deadline this month :-)

 
At 3 April 2013 at 11:31 , Blogger Unknown said...

LOL - you always have your own hearty and delicious meals

 
At 3 April 2013 at 11:32 , Blogger Unknown said...

I remember them well - not sure why tasty meals like this go out of fashion.

 
At 3 April 2013 at 11:33 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Camilla - Credit Crunch Munch is such a good resource for frugal meals. Glad to be part of it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home